The Sous Chef must maintain an efficient operation in his respective production area, constantly analyzing quality and cost of food productions, keeping within his set budget and monitoring time management. He provides ongoing training and ensures that the standards set by the Corporate Offices are followed. He ensures safe, quality food products and complete guest satisfaction.
The jobholder should include the ability to:
Remain rational when dealing with others, work within organizational requirements, being systematic and factual when dealing with colleagues and handle conflict with logic until a solution becomes achievable.
Consider problems as a challenge, collect information relevant to the problem, be disciplined in ascertaining the root cause, identify and develop a practical solution, communicate the findings and implement action to resolve the problem.
Develop and comply with the systems, procedures, rules, objectives and timescales set by the organization and take a disciplined approach when undertaking tasks.
Work within a technical or specialist area of expertise in order to continuously improve the quality of the service and/or the product provided.
Remain confident when dealing with negative situations, convince others to have ideas and create new options, as well as encouraging and being enthusiastic towards them to come up with imaginative solutions to difficult problems.
Mentor, counsel, coach and generally support those who are not confident in their area of competence, building morale and personal esteem and generally encouraging others to give their best performance.
Work persistently when gathering information and seeking solutions to problems.
Work as part of a team and exercise tolerance and consistency when dealing with others.
Seek direction and authority from others when and if appropriate, and achieve set goals in a non-assertive and efficient manner.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Must ensure a full adherence within his assigned area to menus, recipes, methods and operational
- specifics provided by the company and be instrumental in organizing an efficient flow of production.
- Conduct food tastings on a daily basis of the production in his location and correct immediately any possible discrepancies (quality, taste, appearance).
- Responsible to monitor & assist his / her Section Heads to prepare the daily electronic food requisitions according to the forecasted figures.
- Monitor the Dinner Service Line in his assigned location, which includes but is not limited to ensuring a smooth and efficient service, presentation and final plating. The Dinner service must be conducted in a calm professional manner.
- Monitor the production and preparation level using the Culinary Checklist for his area on a daily base.
- Maintain and ensure that Public Health are followed according to company standards and expectation (referring to US, Anvisa, Shipsan, Canadian, Australian etc) and followed at all times on board.
- Report any malfunctions and necessary repairs that affect the daily operation in the galley, and that violate public health, SMS requirements or impact productivity.
- Ensure that all the HACCP procedures and logs are applied at all times and followed accordingly.
- Ensure that his/her area of responsibility is ready for any announced and/or unannounced inspection, done either by the Ship’s Management or local authorities and must be present during any possible inspection.
- Ensure and reinforce the daily Recipe review program with CDP’s and Section Heads. Recipe reviews must be submitted to the culinary department for review and approval.
- Enforces the established working schedule for the galley team, based on 10 hours a day and 7 days a week, ensure rest hours are well followed as per MLC 2006.
- Ensures that all Galley Staff is adhering to uniform and grooming policies (hygiene, grooming, personal appearance, uniform, safety shoes and dress code).
- Monitor expensive items (Meat, Fish and Seafood/Flagged items);
- Ensure the portion control chart is followed accordingly.