The primary responsibility of the Sommelier is to ensure guest satisfaction by assisting the Head Sommelier in delivering a variety of wines and quality wine services .
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with effective operation of the department.
- Achieving and exceed departmental financial targets (revenue, costs).
- Ensure that assigned area is properly stocked and set up as scheduled.
- Ensure effective beverage service in the restaurant.
- Responsible for the service in a section of the main dining room or an alternative dining location.
- Supervise assigned personal with wine service in alternative dining locations.
- Assist the Head Sommelier in preparing the restaurant for service every morning and afternoon to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Possess thorough knowledge of the full wine list in order to assist guests with choices, makerecommendations, and up sell .
- Be aware of all events and activities on the ship.
- Assist the Head Sommelier in scheduling events.
- Assist with the setting up of wine tasting and any other relevant activities.
- Respond to passenger questions.
- Report any guest dissatisfaction to the Head Sommelier immediately.
- Ensure compliance with company procedures regarding stock control and accurate charging to accounts .
- Tactfully present options to up sale wines, without being pushy.
- Assist the Head Sommelier with the inventory of glasses, utensils and bottles .
- Ensure that all glasses and utensils are in pristine condition at all times.
- Receive requisitions.
- Organize the wine cellar with stock.
- Observe and enforce uniform standards according to company policies and procedures .
- Possess awareness of par levels, stock and stock control, and requisition procedures.
- Promote, set up and organize wine events .
- Possess knowledge of bar set ups, cocktail presentations and standard cocktail recipes/garnishes.
- Possess full knowledge of current U.S.P.H rules and regulations and maintain U.S.P.H standards at all times.